[lit-ideas] Re: Muhammed and the Giant Peach

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 11:48:54 EST

<<My
response to the protests I have seen on TV is that the  placards all seem to
say something such as one must burn, slay, attack,  boycott with what one
disagrees with. >>
Some of the signs are pretty extreme,  all right.  I saw one that said,
"Beware the REAL Holocaust.  You will  have your 9/11 too."  The protests don't
bother me as much as the burning  of two embassies and now, in Beirut, the
Danish
Consulate.  Or the fact  that generally moderate King Abdulla is calling the
printing of the cartoons a  "crime".  I'm still confused about the contrast
between the muslim-created  portraits of Muhammed on the website posted here
containing dozens of pic's  of him from various centuries and cultures and the
continuing media reports  that portrayal of him is a sacrilege according to
tradition.  Does anyone  understand this apparent paradox?  There was even a
small
paragraph on  the website (I think that's where it was) discussing the fact
that many of the  pic's were done by Muslims in complete approval of the
religious  community.  Something just doesn't square...
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Muhammed and the
Giant Peach  Date: 2/5/06 10:29:08 A.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Judy:Incidentally "pluralism" has many meanings  but
presumably in this context it implies a certain
sensitivity to the  possible feelings of others

Yes, this is true.  However, about two  years ago, I read that scholars of
any religion, including Muslim, must  publish their findings re the Koran
anonymously as they fear being  murdered.  These are people who look at the
Koran, as they have done  with the Bible, the Vedas, etc. from the point of
view of history, literature  and archeology.

The point of freedom of speech is that someone or  some publication can say
something totally offensive to someone or some  group.  If we all play nice
and say only wonderful things, what's the  point of freedom of speech?  My
response to the protests I have seen on  TV is that the placards all seem to
say something such as one must burn,  slay, attack, boycott with what one
disagrees with.  The thousands of  protesters with these signs make all
Muslims look like extremists.  I  haven't seen anything like that here, ever.

A year or so ago the City of  Detroit prohibited a performance by Eminem.
He sued and won a couple of  hundred thousand dollars for the city's
violation of his freedom of  expression.  The local imam wrote a letter to
the editor of the Detroit  Free Press bemoaning that the city can't censor
the obscene performance and  that it had to pay for violating someone's
freedom of expression.

The  whole world is slipping into fundamentalism of one kind or another.
The  victims of this are people of liberal religion or no religion.   Where
are their defenders?  And where is the outrage in the world about  the
virulent anti-Semitism in the Arab world and on Arab television.   I
understand there is even one story line about cannibal rabbis  consuming
Muslim children.  Interesting variation on the traditional  Christian one
about Jews needing the blood of Christian children.

I  find this whole thing extremely frightening.  It seems like our  freedoms
are being attacked from all quarters.  The wimpy Bush  administration is
giving in to this at the same time as they are spying on  us.
The Christian right is busily working on doing away with birth control  and
women working.  The New York Times waits a year and censors itself  before
revealing the internal spying.

The boycotts are  irrelevant.  Most Muslim countries can't keep up boycotts,
as so much of  the things they want and need come from elsewhere.  Also,
boycotts can  back fire.  I purchased something recently that was made in
the United  Arab Emirates.  In this area there are dozens of Middle  Eastern
restaurants, grocery stores, etc.  I don't know anyone who wants  to boycott
them.  But perhaps this is on the way, sadly.

Veronica  Caley
Milford, MI

http://www.yahoo.co.uk/blackberry