[lit-ideas] Re: Muhammed and the Giant Peach

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 14:18:46 -0800

Yesterday I saw a few minutes of a C-Span discussion of Michael LeGault's
book Think, Why Crucial Decisions can't be made in the Blink of an eye.  He
said that moderns have lost the ability and desire to engage in critical
thinking.  In earlier times one developing an argument would analyze the
evidence and draw conclusions based upon it.  But today it is considered
better to draw conclusions based upon the right emotion.  I thought of the
very brief "Let us reason together" period Mike and I had Friday.  He saw
that we had some things in common and proposed that we reason together.

In listening to LeGault on C-Span, it seemed to me that Mike and I might be
exemplifying the difference he was referring to.  I could never say wars
ought not to be engaged in until I analyzed wars and the reasons for
engaging in them.  Mike could presuppose "Never again war."

He started with rejecting the idea that the US was the good guy.  He asked
why we couldn't just see the world as "Just Guys Seeing the Things from
their own perspective."  I indeed believed that we each saw things from our
own perspective, and I could accept the pluralism of allowing for that, but
I couldn't go all the way based on the evidence.  I couldn't accept the
consequences no matter what.  If the Islamist seeing things from his own
perspective wants to kill me, I am not willing to be quite pluralistic
enough to allow him to do so.

Further down he said "Let's start with the end to war."  I could never start
there.  I need to start with an analysis of war.  I need to study the
reasons that wars start, their commonness, their effects and a variety of
other things.  As it happens I've already done a considerable amount of
that.  I have concluded that while wars are not desirable, they are
sometimes necessary.

But my purpose here isn't to rehash our two note discussion of Friday, it is
to wonder whether Mike and I clash because I am an ancient who performs a
(cold) analysis of the evidence, while Mike, a modern seeks the right (warm)
emotions and is able to draw unerring conclusions from them.

Lawrence