[lit-ideas] Re: Yes, Prime Minister

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 07:17:45 -0800 (PST)

Been a long while since I've seen Yes, (Prime)
Minister, but as I recall it:

The closest thing and a predecessor to the Yes, Prime
Minister is the radio comedy The Men from The
Ministry. It stars civil servants Hamilton-Jones and
Lennox Brown of the General Assistance Department,
desperately trying to avoid relocation to Outer
Hebrids. Finns, myself included, for some reason
absolutely adore the show, YLE even commisioned extra
episodes from the writer Edward Taylor. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Men_from_the_Ministry
and http://www.woodmachining.com/mftm/

Recent hit show The Office makes an interesting
contrast. Yes, PM made fun of cunning White Hall
bureaucrats and stupid politicians, while in tune with
times The Office's merciless parody is directed at
business book trained corporate mini-bosses and the
desperate workers they lead. The show stars a
low-level executive Brent who thinks he is funny,
energetic and a caring boss, while in practice
torturing his minions with his stupid jokes, nepotism
and constant craving for attention. Oh and he is
totally incompetent, of course. I haven't seen the US
version, but if other adaptions of British shows are
any guide, it is to be avoided like bird flu.

Others: For a similar style of humor, the closest
thing that comes to mind is the adoptions of P. G.
Wodehouse's Jeeves stories. From roughly the same era,
many would recommend Rowan Atkinson's Blackadder, but
personally I'd prefer 'Allo 'Allo! Of more recent
shows, while Smack the Pony is uneven it is clever on
occasion and down-right surreal at times. They are all
good, if Brits make bad sitcoms they are not being
imported.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland