[lit-ideas] Re: Link to "Mohammed" cartoons

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:04:02 +0000 (GMT)

This is in today's _Guardian_ -- I remember the
incident well. (Brooker's wrong to equate his
situation with the Danish newspapers: he's a known
satirist who deliberately gives offence, *but not to
racial or religious groupings"

I speak with a pinch of experience here, because in
October 2004 I briefly considered going into hiding
myself, when an extremely ill-advised joke I made at
the end of a TV preview column in this newspaper's
Saturday listings magazine prompted a wave of protests
and death threats from several hundred people who took
it very seriously indeed. The joke itself was based on
an old bit of graffiti about Mrs Thatcher: "Guy Fawkes
- where are you now that we need you?" My version was
updated, referred to President Bush, and in
retrospect, didn't look as much like a joke as I
originally thought it did, particularly when it got
passed around the internet under the heading: "UK
Newspaper Calls for President's Assassination."

The ensuing comments ranged from the comical ("If it
hadn't been for the USA, your asshole would be
speaking German right now" - what a party trick THAT
would be) to the blood-curdling (such as the
correspondent who advised me to stick close to
buildings and walk in a zig-zag fashion if I wanted to
avoid having my head blown off by his incredibly
efficient sniper rifle). And it wasn't just me, no -
almost everyone at the Guardian received similar
missives, all thanks to me and my heeee-larious funny
talk.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1706647,00.html

Judy Evans, Cardiff

http://www.yahoo.co.uk/blackberry