[lit-ideas] At War with Ourselves

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 06:59:20 -0500

That piece Andreas posted on ownership percentages is certainly gloomy if true, and I wonder if it is corroborated elsewhere? Anyone know?

And Paul mentioned Chomsky a while ago. My favorite Chomsky piece was a lecture he gave on the book, _The Crisis of Democracy_ (NYU Press 1975), apparently the only publication of the Trilateral Commission, a group Lawrence alluded to last week. Chomsky pointed out an essay by Samuel P. Huntington in that book.

Essentially it was a blueprint for all the social changes that have occurred in the US since the end of the Vietnam War. Chomsky quoted Huntington to the effect that for modern democracies to be manageable (the crisis of the book's title) "newly mobilized strata, recently awakened by the process of industrialization, had to be persuaded to return to a measure of passivity and defeatism." In other words, there was too large a populist groundswell in the 1960s, and that threatened to wrest control from the power elite, who were finding democracy "unmanageable," (a word used in the subtitle of the book).

Chomsky's lecture contained the key elements of his yet-to-be published Engineering of Consent tome, and explained in careful steps how America would be converted from a nation of slaphappy hippies to a country of demoralized, overworked people with low expectations of life. Chilling. And remarkably accurate in some ways, a process that has continued under Democrat and Republican leadership with no change or let up. Part of this necessary return to passivity was, to my mind, a lot like implementing martial law so slowly nobody would notice.

Interesting composition of the Trilateral Commission at that time. According to the book, the then-unknown and soon-to-be-known Jimmy Carter was on it, as well as his sidekick Zbig Brzezinski (sp?), Huntington, and several European and Japanese contributors.