[lit-ideas] Re: At War with Ourselves

  • From: "JUDITH EVANS" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 05:53:22 -0000

LH>Well, I think we've just about beaten this insignificant quibble to death.
Actually it's been a sort of LH>moving quibble.  You weren't specific in the
beginning, just a vague indefinite something or other - LH>much like Irene's
vagueness; then as time went on you seemed to pick something you liked and
LH>there we've been

Disingenuous, Lawrence?  (Perhaps not, Perhaps you really see the exchange that
way,)

LH>France is multicultural.  We agree on that.

Obviously more than one culture exists in France and more than one cultural
group lives there.  But I draw a distinction between that and multicultural
policies.

LH>The French people don't like it.  We agree on that.

I'm not sure we do agree with that but racism does seem more prevalent in
France than say the UK, and I imagine racism (of French whites) is what you're
talking about.

LH>It doesn't work.  I think we agree on that,

I said the French universalist integrationist project, the NON-MULITCULTURAL
PROJECT, had failed to deliver.

LH> but where we don't agree is whether the French leadership approved of
multiculturalism.

They approve of a multicultural France but their policies are not totally
consonant with that.

LH>The EU constitution required multiculturalism.  Jacques Chirac and the other
French leaders praised the constitution and urged its acceptance.  But the
French people roundly defeated it to a very large extent because if this very
same multiculturalism.  Can we agree on that?
http://www.pinr.com/report.php?ac=view_report&report_id=306&language_id=1

No.

There were a number of reasons why the French people voted no (as the piece you
cite, all-too-brief as it is, makes clear).  Unless you call any opposition to
change an opposition to multiculturalism, no.

Judy Evans, Cardiff