[lit-ideas] Re: At War with Ourselves

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 19:43:32 +0000 (GMT)

--- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Usually the WSJ tells me I must pay $99.00 and
> wordecartisdoesn'tlike to the On-line Wall
> Street Journal in order to access any of there
> articles, but it is being
> generous today.

Perhaps because the piece is free at victorhanson.com?

 Here is another one.  This is by
> Victor Davis Hanson, an
> historian I have tremendous respect for (which will
> mean Geary and Ramos
> won't be interested in the above).

That isn't the only reason to avoid Hanson.

  Hanson's fields
> are Classicism and War.

I.e. he's a classicist and military historian, the
latter w/ref Ancient Greece.  But one does not need to
be credentialled to write well on current affairs, nor
do credentials guarantee it.  Hanson is particularly
wooden-headed on Europe:

Yet suddenly in 2006, the Europeans seem to have
collectively resuscitated. The Madrid bombings, the
murder of Theo van Gogh, the London subway attacks,
and the French rioting in October and November seem to
have prompted at least some Europeans at last to
question their once hallowed sense of multiculturalism
in which Muslim minorities were not asked to
assimilate at home

http://victorhanson.com/articles/hanson021806.html

(He is such a *jerk*) France has for many decades
preached and (tried to) practice an
assimilationist/integrationist and "colour"/etc.-blind
policy.  Cf the ban on Muslim dress in French schools.
 (And it has simply refused to let in Muslims it
regards as possibly dangerous, and its secret service
*pushed* ours to investigate Muslims here more
intensively:  *long before* 7/7.) It has failed
practice its policy *economically* and *socially*,
hence the riots.

I conclude that Hanson doesn't read the papers.

Judy Evans, Cardiff

http://www.yahoo.co.uk/blackberry