[lit-ideas] Re: At War with Ourselves

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 02:24:45 -0500

Hi,
So, when they are all legalized, will that mean that Bush's cronies will have
to pay more than slave labor wages to them?

That all those who are patting themselves on the back for hiring an illegal
immigrant to watch their kids, clean their houses, landscape/garden their
yards, etc etc. all as a way to 'help'--while they are paying substandard wages
compared to what they would pay someone who was here legally ...

Will they end up paying them decent wages?

Will it mean that there will no longer be the trucks in Houston that go around
picking up the Mexicans (here in KC there are temp agenices, LaborPool,
etc--for manual and other day labor if you need some quick cash and are out of
work...they don't have them in Houston...for example.

Theoretically, right--they are taking all the jobs that "real Americans" don't
want. BUT--will they actually PAY them for those jobs when the illegal
immigrants doing those jobs that (theoretically) no one wants...when they can
get jobs that actually pay REAL wages...(ie even minimum wage jobs...)

Btw--I am trying to find it--but I had saved it, I know I did!  There was an
interesting article/study done--and it is NOT the small town Midwestern towns
that have a problem with immigration--it's actually the larger cities (even
near you, Andreas) which are having major flight issues and prejudice issues.

The smaller towns don't mind--it's an interesting article/study--and, in fact,
have been trying to state to both legal AND illegal immigrants that they are
welcoming.

The illegal ones (esp) don't want to go there, though--mostly, it's too cold.
(thank goodness for Global Warming--finally, they'll think about coming North!)

I'm trying to find it--fear it is in my computer at work, though...<sigh>  Had
thought I'd forward it once upon a time, but then, I think, I came across it
during a time when we were not discussing this issue.

I wonder if all of a sudden the construction industry will start paying living
wages to these illegal guys...Even in this area, it happens that they
deliberately hire illegal folk in order to not do so. My neighbor's brother has
a construction company and my neighbor says his brother has lots of illegal
immigrants--can build more cheaply (though around here that does NOT mean that
the homes sell any less ... just means that the guy's brother is pocketing
more...)

And, if they refuse to pay living wages--what will happen to those jobs when
the illegal folk don't have to worry about being kicked out and go work at
McDonalds or Wal-mart instead (and not to be locked into a room, either--)

Who will do those jobs, then?

If they legalize the ones who are here, will that mean that the rest of the
Mexicans (and others) who are trying to get here illegally will stop trying to
do so?  Will we need to have just complete open borders? Is that what is being
advocated?

Not sure I am understanding this all...

Personally, I don't mind ANYONE being here in the USA--I just want everyone to
be able to make a living wage--and those who refuse to pay it (be they the
liberals who are 'keeping safe' an illegal by hiring one at substandard wages
to be a gardener, housekeeper, nanny, etc--to pay the going rate...OR the
bigger companies who are paying slave wages and providing even worse
conditions....) to STOP and pay the person at least what minimum wage
is...(even though that does not get you very far, it is better than what is
happening now...)

Wanting all to at least make minimum wage but mostly to be happy and secure and
able to have enough to take care of their own as well as to share with others,
Marlena in Missouri