[lit-ideas] Re: At War with Ourselves

  • From: "JUDITH EVANS" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 01:34:32 -0000

LH>That the French have pursued multiculturalism is very very very
LH>(to borrow from Geary) well known,

At frontpagemag.com, yes.  Elsewhere, no.

 but you might have to crack a book or a journal article or some other report
to know that. .  The leaders, the people setting the policy established France
as a multicultural nation (read the UNESCO report),

I haven't read the report (I've downloaded it).  I quote *again* from the
abstract:

>However, ideological
>multiculturalism has begun to make inroads into the French model
>of citizenship through the political accommodation of migrant groups,
>especially at the local level.

and now ask you, which people? what policy?

And I quote again

" The essential point is that multiculturalism has never been tried in France.
On the contrary, France's problems are a manifestation of the failure of its
flawed attempt at integration over half a century or so. "

and *again*, ask you to define "multiculturalism".

Judy Evans, Cardiff