[lit-ideas] Re: At War with Ourselves

  • From: "JUDITH EVANS" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 23:49:31 -0000

Ah.  I see.  Your ideas about France and multiculturalism come from
frontpagemag.com.  It's my sense that they either don't understand the French
*anti* multicultural heritage or seek to ignore it.

I quote someone whose politics I don't know, who does seem to know about France:

" The essential point is that multiculturalism has never been tried in France.
On the contrary, France's problems are a manifestation of the failure of its
flawed attempt at integration over half a century or so. "

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/11/14/1131951095194.html

Below is an indirect link (search hit 1) to a piece by Marty Schain ("Politics,
immigration and multiculturalism in France and the United States"): you might
find it instructive.

http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?p=France+%2Bmulticulturalism+%2BSchain&prssweb=Search&ei=UTF-8&fr=my-vert-web-top&x=wrt&meta=vc%3D

Judy Evans, Cardiff