[lit-ideas] Re: At War with Ourselves

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 16:20:20 -0800

I looked at your sites.  The following from UNESCO is clearer about the
status of multiculturalism in France:
http://portal.unesco.org/shs/en/ev.php-URL_ID=2779
<http://portal.unesco.org/shs/en/ev.php-URL_ID=2779&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECT
ION=201.html> &URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html  This abstract will
refer you to page 77 of a 104 page report on Multiculturalism from the
International Journal on Multicultural Societies, (IJMS), Vol 5, No. 1.
France is described as a de-facto Multicultural society.  One of your
articles says they aren't really; which is what I wrote.  The French boots
on the ground don't accept multiculturalism.  I used a French word "sabots"
rather than boots or galoshes, but I assumed that sentence would be
understood.

I still don't know what your problem is.  France wanted to be a
Multicultural society.  Multiculturalism fits one of the modern Liberal
ideals.  Multiculturalism doesn't work.  It isn't working in France and it
isn't working in Holland.  I don't believe it will work anyplace.

Lawrence

  _____