[Linux-Anyway] Re: refugee

  • From: HaywireMac <haywiremac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:25:04 -0400

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 00:20:00 +0200
Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx> uttered:

> Gentoo is currently my favourite, closely followed by Debian. Come to
> think of it, what counts most in a distro is the package manager -
> opinions?

Actually, I find the package management in Mandrake to be fairly good.
Urpmi seems to handle all dependencies well, and when I *have* managed
to break something, a simple urpme --nodeps, then urpmi it back and I'm
in bizness again...so far, anyway. I do build a lot of my stuff from
source, like my WM, mail client, ROX (the coolest file manager *ever*),
a lot of games and stuff, and whenever I get a failed build, urpmi
always finds the missing devel packages for me.

Of course, I have nothing to compare it to, so I can't say "better" or
"worse", only "good".

> > I figure until I can learn how to work basic stuff like Apache and
> > Postfix, I'll stay where I'm comfy.
>
> Those aren't basic stuff.

Tell me about it, I can't even get Virtual Hosts to work... ;-)

> Stick with Mandrake if that's what works ok for you, but don't forget
> to try a couple of others when you're more at ease with linux.

That's the main thing, Mandrake is almost *too* easy for me now, I want
to build something from the ground up so I learn more, which is why
Gentoo interests me, and since I'm fairly good with building from source
and troubleshooting failed builds, ie. knowing what's missing etc., I
think I'm just about ready.

But like you say, everything is working great for me right now, I wish I
had a new machine to start from scratch and have this one as my main
workstation til the new one was up and online. I can rip, burn, watch
any movies that I snag over the Donkey network, my LAN runs without a
hitch, my server, an old P166 running MDK 9.1 just keeps chuggin' (it's
the one running MLDonkey). It was up for 90 days til we had that big
power failure!

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046