[Linux-Anyway] Re: refugee

  • From: John Richard Smith <BAGSOFCHOICE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:42:34 +0000

Rebel Lion wrote:

>>>What makes you think that that page has anything to do with a Russian
>>>linux distro..Are you actually interested in Linux at all or are you just
>>>an M$ troll ?
>>>
>>>Rebel
>>>

>>Not much, which is why I ask, and since I've never heard of any distro
>>called ASP and this is what google threw up I'm puzzled.
>>
>>John
>>

>interesting asp linux on google showed at least 5 links to the correct page
>for me...
>You do know that there is a linux search engine on google don't you ?
>ie http://www.google.com/linux

Yes, but the original message merely mentioned " ASP " which if you put
it into google does not link at all to the correct website, so it seemed
to me I was being trolled, or was I ?

A later meassage mentioned "ASPlinux", which it turns out to be the
correct name and I did find the correct  website after that. I suppose
google ought to of found ASPlinux from ASP but mine didn't.

No loss, it matters not , but it explains the error.

As I said I had never heard of ASPlinux before, a consequence maybe of "
Mandrakation ", that is, only having been exposed to mandrake up to
now.I have never know any other linux OS todate.I knew of RH and Debian
Woody but never tried them. Not sure that I want to. If I change from
Mandrake I want something that Mandrake doesn't give . Up to M8.2  I
have never had any particular problems, but M9.0 and M9.1 have proved
not to me all that easy to get  "Unbroken"  , I found myself replacing
up to a 1/3 of the installed OS with "Updates" to get working apps.
Don't know how much the rest of you have found that to be the case, but
I certainly downloaded 133% of the OS to get 100% . I'm not particularly
flawed by it all, I guess it's a case of moving forward quite some
extent in order to catch up, and to be fair to Mandrake , it's all very
well people like me being critical of the OS, but if I don't download
and test and report then , what else can I expect. That is a perfectly
valid point that I fully accept it, unfortunately , it's not practicable
for me to download and test and keep up with it all. Plus the current
urpmi way of updating and all that header update business makes it
difficult for me on a simple dial-up modem, to accomplish.

So I'm thinking about ASPlinux.

John

--
John Richard Smith