[Linux-Anyway] Re: refugee

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:57:28 -0700 (PDT)

  Horror,

> Anyway, it seems to be a group I should join. I'm pining for a
> nice flame-war, and being a commie, great fan of france and
> generally nuts, my joining it would be enough to start a
> chain-reaction.

  Nuclear, I'll bet;-).

> > It is a fact that current world news and current affairs are
> > centered around the U.S. and its involvement in certain
> > conflicts in certain areas, and so Richard and I wished to
> > discuss these things, but, for the few members on the OT list
> > who hailed from the U.S., no such discussion could take place
> > without it being interpreted as an attack on the American
> > people as a whole. Criticism of George = criticism of all,
> > they seemed to think, and would reply with the most
> > horrendous vitriol.

> Hmm, seems to me a rather accurate description of Meph, the
> group owner - I guess you're in trouble.

  Uh, to which statement to you refer?  I see no correlation;-).

> > I have the deepest respect for the American people and the
> > great things they have achieved, so I hope that if the
> > subject should come up here of U.S. policy or politics, any
> > Americans or people who support American policy or actions
> > will understand that my concerns come from heartfelt desires
> > for peace and prosperity for all people, and will refrain
> > from treating me as if I were some apologist for terrorists
> > and/or simply some elitist knee-jerk anti-American fanatic.

> Hm. I think that we anti-americans should get rid of the
> somewhat bad habit of acclaiming the U.S. and it's people
> before we criticise it.

  You know, I'm really looking forward to my first holiday from
teaching in Poland to visit Vienna.  Think you & I will have a
good natured brawl at your favourite pub?:-)

> Of course, nationalist drones of every country will assume
> exactly that the instant you say something diverging from their
> views, but that's not to be helped, and I prefer to just assume
> I'm talking with normal people, ready to accept criticism as
> coming from a background of good will and respect. Whoever
> isn't capable of separating the current set of leaders and
> politics from nearly everything else probably isn't worth
> talking to anyway.

  Which brings us back to why I have no problem with OT posts.
We here are all pretty respectful of each other's views & are
still friends after many debates (although I'm rather radical in
my politics & have no great allegiance to the US, hence, Horror,
Godwin, & I get along;-).

  One new person already unsub'd because he didn't "get it".
Good for him.  There are lists upon lists.  Let all go where they
will feel most comfortable.

  Meph

--
  O Lord, grant that we may always be right, for Thou knowest we
  will never change our minds.