[Linux-Anyway] Re: refugee

  • From: John Richard Smith <BAGSOFCHOICE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:16:16 +0000

Rebel Lion wrote:

>>As I said I had never heard of ASPlinux before, a consequence maybe of "
>>Mandrakation ", that is, only having been exposed to mandrake up to
>>now.I have never know any other linux OS todate.I knew of RH and Debian
>>Woody but never tried them. Not sure that I want to. If I change from
>>Mandrake I want something that Mandrake doesn't give . Up to M8.2  I
>>have never had any particular problems, but M9.0 and M9.1 have proved
>>not to me all that easy to get  "Unbroken"  , I found myself replacing
>>up to a 1/3 of the installed OS with "Updates" to get working apps.
>>Don't know how much the rest of you have found that to be the case, but
>>I certainly downloaded 133% of the OS to get 100% . I'm not particularly
>>flawed by it all, I guess it's a case of moving forward quite some
>>extent in order to catch up, and to be fair to Mandrake , it's all very
>>well people like me being critical of the OS, but if I don't download
>>and test and report then , what else can I expect. That is a perfectly
>>valid point that I fully accept it, unfortunately , it's not practicable
>>for me to download and test and keep up with it all. Plus the current
>>urpmi way of updating and all that header update business makes it
>>difficult for me on a simple dial-up modem, to accomplish.
>>
>>So I'm thinking about ASPlinux.
>>
>>John
>>

>My main like of it is the general speed compared with Mandrake...
>I use kde 3.1.1a on asplinux 7.3..My machine is only a P133 with 64M ram and
>it is really quite quick and useable..Redhat 7.3 is ok too and for a while I
>used the asp kernel on a generally RH setup but have since got the Asp setup
>cd and gone over completely...It's not that easy to set up ,,,not as simple
>as RH and Mandrake to install for instance but as long as you take notice of
>what you are doing everything sets up ok..Not sure how you will go if you
>have a winmodem though, haven't looked into that at all because I don't have
>that problem anymore..

If I installed ASPlinux , how much is the boot manager willing to play
with Mandrake and a W2k OS.   Of course I use lilo at the moment, that's
OK with me, but , and here the current Mandrakes differ to earlier
versions, in that they now pretty much insist on installing a fresh new
lilo boot loader every time, even if you don't really want it to. I know
you can undo that, but I wonder what bootloader ASPlinux uses , whether
there is an option to install it or not, because if not and I chose not
to install their bootloader, will it let me skip that?  I would prefer
to write a stanza in lilo to boot ASPlinux. I would of course want to
retain booting into mandrake and W2K as well.

John

--
John Richard Smith
BAGSOFCHOICE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx