[Linux-Anyway] Re: refugee

  • From: HaywireMac <haywiremac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 15:24:19 -0400

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 11:33:06 -0700 (PDT)
Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx> uttered:

>   Thanks for joinging.  What's this about MandrakeOT censoring?
> Not that I'm surprised, just wondering what's up.

Richard, of course, can speak for himself, but I too experienced the
horrors of the MandrakeOT list.

While I have a certain set of beliefs that I expect set me in direct
opposition to the majority of the people in our so-called Western
Democracies, the list to which Richard and I used to belong was a
particularly inhospitable place.

Unfortunately, the MandrakeOT list is dominated by a few far-right
zealots who would take every opportunity to go beyond the usual rules of
fair conduct, and of course as with all people like this, would not
listen to reason of any sort, and take a discussion which deviated from
their narrow views and turn it into a flame war of epic proportions.

It is a fact that current world news and current affairs are centered
around the U.S. and its involvement in certain conflicts in certain
areas, and so Richard and I wished to discuss these things, but, for the
few members on the OT list who hailed from the U.S., no such discussion
could take place without it being interpreted as an attack on the
American people as a whole. Criticism of George = criticism of all, they
seemed to think, and would reply with the most horrendous vitriol.

I have the deepest respect for the American people and the great
things they have achieved, so I hope that if the subject should come up
here of U.S. policy or politics, any Americans or people who support
American policy or actions will understand that my concerns come from
heartfelt desires for peace and prosperity for all people, and will
refrain from treating me as if I were some apologist for terrorists
and/or simply some elitist knee-jerk anti-American fanatic.

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046