[Linux-Anyway] Re: refugee

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:11:50 -0700 (PDT)

> Never change a running system.

  Unless....  In my case, I'd recently bought an 80GB drive
(which M$ XP broke, couldn't fix, but Linux not only detected it
-- which M$, after breaking it, couldn't -- but also fixed it &
others which are working fine now).  So, I'm planning on swapping
hda, which has my running RH 7.2, with the 80GB drive &
installing gentoo.  If gentoo won't work, I'll just swap back &
have RH back;-).

> Gentoo is currently my favourite, closely followed by Debian.
> Come to think of it, what counts most in a distro is the
> package manager - opinions?

  I'm hoping, unlike RH, that all my peripherals -- which are
listed in gentoo's HCL -- will actually work.  I especially hope
my burner will do more than come up as a cdrom.

> > I figure until I can learn how to work basic stuff like
> > Apache and Postfix, I'll stay where I'm comfy.

> Those aren't basic stuff.

  No, they're not.  But each works quite nicely "out of the box"
& only require a little tinkering to get other bits of them to do
what you want.  Plus, postfix ~really~ will block open relays,
unlike sendmail, which, after doing everything one has to do to
make it secure, one has to do it over & over, & then do it again
& again -- then do more.

  Meph

--
  He:  Let's end it all, bequeathin' our brains to science.
  She: What?!?  Science got enough trouble with their ~own~