[Linux-Anyway] Re: refugee

  • From: Horror Vacui <horrorvacui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 22:34:12 +0200

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 15:24:19 -0400
HaywireMac wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 11:33:06 -0700 (PDT)
> Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx> uttered:
>
> >   Thanks for joinging.  What's this about MandrakeOT censoring?
> > Not that I'm surprised, just wondering what's up.
>
> Richard, of course, can speak for himself, but I too experienced the
> horrors of the MandrakeOT list.
>
> While I have a certain set of beliefs that I expect set me in direct
> opposition to the majority of the people in our so-called Western
> Democracies, the list to which Richard and I used to belong was a
> particularly inhospitable place.
>
> Unfortunately, the MandrakeOT list is dominated by a few far-right
> zealots who would take every opportunity to go beyond the usual rules
> of fair conduct, and of course as with all people like this, would not
> listen to reason of any sort, and take a discussion which deviated
> from their narrow views and turn it into a flame war of epic
> proportions.

Heh, you should have told them that Mandrake is a french distro, that'd
have rid you of them quite quickly, I guess.

Anyway, it seems to be a group I should join. I'm pining for a nice
flame-war, and being a commie, great fan of france and generally nuts,
my joining it would be enough to start a chain-reaction.

> It is a fact that current world news and current affairs are centered
> around the U.S. and its involvement in certain conflicts in certain
> areas, and so Richard and I wished to discuss these things, but, for
> the few members on the OT list who hailed from the U.S., no such
> discussion could take place without it being interpreted as an attack
> on the American people as a whole. Criticism of George = criticism of
> all, they seemed to think, and would reply with the most horrendous
> vitriol.

Hmm, seems to me a rather accurate description of Meph, the group owner
- I guess you're in trouble.

> I have the deepest respect for the American people and the great
> things they have achieved, so I hope that if the subject should come
> up here of U.S. policy or politics, any Americans or people who
> support American policy or actions will understand that my concerns
> come from heartfelt desires for peace and prosperity for all people,
> and will refrain from treating me as if I were some apologist for
> terrorists and/or simply some elitist knee-jerk anti-American fanatic.

Hm. I think that we anti-americans should get rid of the somewhat bad
habit of acclaiming the U.S. and it's people before we criticise it. Qui
s'excuse s'accuse, say the french, - it somehow seems to imply that
there's really a certain amount of prejudice behind it. Of course,
nationalist drones of every country will assume exactly that the instant
you say something diverging from their views, but that's not to be
helped, and I prefer to just assume I'm talking with normal people,
ready to accept criticism as coming from a background of good will and
respect. Whoever isn't capable of separating the current set of leaders
and politics from nearly everything else probably isn't worth talking to
anyway.

> --
> HaywireMac
> Registered Linux user #282046