[Linux-Anyway] Re: refugee

  • From: Godwin Stewart <gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:04:32 +0200

Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:56:13 -0400 scripsit HaywireMac:

> What distro do you run? I'm highly tempted by others, esp Debian and
> Gentoo, but being that I lack self-confidence in my technical abilities
> still, and my system seems to do everything I want it to do, I've been
> holding back.

Slackware.

Until June last year I was running RH 7.1 everywhere, including on the
gateway/firewall machine which would oops regularly every 2 days.

It hasn't done so once since I installed Slack 8.0 on it.

A couple of weeks after doing that I bought a second-hand laptop. The first
thing I did with that was to rip Windows 98 out of it and install Slackware:
http://www.sgms-centre.com/laptop (this will move shortly but I'll redirect
to its new home when the time comes, correct the mistakes and update it).

As things are now, the gw/fw is *still* running Slack 8.0 and has been up
for:

~$ uptime
 10:59am  up 34 days,  1:11,  1 user,  load average: 0.01, 0.01, 0.00

The only occasions on which I've had to take it down are for kernel upgrades
(it's running 2.4.22 now) and in the event of power outages that the UPS
couldn't cover.

My workstation and the laptop have both been upgraded to 8.1 and then 9.0
since then.

> I figure until I can learn how to work basic stuff like Apache and
> Postfix, I'll stay where I'm comfy.

Fair enough, as long as you realise that you're only seeing the part of
Linux that Mandrake wants you to see. In some ways, Mandrake is to Linux
what Windows is to DOS: a fancy but dumbed down GUI which doesn't let you
get your hands into the innards of the system.

> What do you mean when you say Mdk "spammed" you...?

Precisely that. They spammed me.

Other than their repulsive spam, I have never had any contact with Mandrake
at all, be it by snail-mail, e-mail, phone, telepathy or anything else you
can imagine. They therefore scraped my address off a mailing list or bought
a "millions" CD-ROM from a spammer (there's no other way they could have
obtained my address) and then sent several variants of this pukeworthy spam
to it:

Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 16:47:00 +0200
From: Gaurav Parakh <gparakh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Gaurav Parakh <x>
Subject: MandrakePartner (linux)
Dear Partner,

Is your company interested in entering the LINUX MARKET or already
involved in Linux development products?  MandrakeSoft offers Solutions....
[snip rest of drivel]

Time to invoke the Boulder Pledge:

"Under no circumstances will I ever purchase anything offered to me as
letters, petitions, mass mailings, or virus warnings to large numbers of
others. This is my contribution to the survival of the online community."

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx -- gstewart@xxxxxxxxxxx
Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)