[Linux-Anyway] Re: refugee

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:03:50 -0700 (PDT)

> >   Thanks for joining.  What's this about MandrakeOT
> > censoring?  Not that I'm surprised, just wondering what's up.

> Richard, of course, can speak for himself, but I too
> experienced the horrors of the MandrakeOT list.

  Glad you've both found your way here.  And I vaguely remember
when I was running mdk that I wasn't too pleased with anyone on
the mdk lists I'd sub'd to either.

> While I have a certain set of beliefs that I expect set me in
> direct opposition to the majority of the people in our
> so-called Western Democracies, the list to which Richard and I
> used to belong was a particularly inhospitable place.

  Many of us here on Anyway can be pretty loud in our politics --
or anything else.  At least we don't tend to attack anyone in
particular.  As for "attacks" on particular nationalities, I
wouldn't worry about it.  If you have something to say, say it --
back it up if you believe it -- & you'll be respected here (I
believe).

  On the subject of Americans, we've had threads which make
mention of Americans in a negative sense.  I'm American, & I've
criticised Americans as readily as other nationalities.  Debate
is fine -- just respect one another in the process.

> It is a fact that current world news and current affairs are
> centered around the U.S. and its involvement in certain
> conflicts in certain areas, and so Richard and I wished to
> discuss these things, but, for the few members on the OT list
> who hailed from the U.S., no such discussion could take place
> without it being interpreted as an attack on the American
> people as a whole. Criticism of George = criticism of all, they
> seemed to think, and would reply with the most horrendous
> vitriol.

  Heh.  Idiots.  And to think, mdk is a French distro....

  Anyway, feel free to discuss it here (remember the Delete
button, Godwin;-).  I don't think Free-Lists -- considering
they'd OK'd my list in spite of the fact I explicitly state that
OT is OK here -- will have any issue with it.  So, if they don't,
I won't.

> I have the deepest respect for the American people and the
> great things they have achieved, so I hope that if the subject
> should come up here of U.S. policy or politics, any Americans
> or people who support American policy or actions will
> understand that my concerns come from heartfelt desires for
> peace and prosperity for all people, and will refrain from
> treating me as if I were some apologist for terrorists and/or
> simply some elitist knee-jerk anti-American fanatic.

  Disclaimer accepted & understood.  And don't take any criticism
you may receive from any of us personally (although, sometimes,
it may be directed personally).  In other words, don't hate
someone for something they may say here.  We're all very tolerant
of different views, but we might argue nonetheless;-).

  Meph

--
  I'm a fuchsia bowling ball somewhere in Brittany