[iyonix-support] Re: Pyjama effect

  • From: Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 15:59:05 +0100

In message <451D8212.6070307@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Andrew Hodgkinson <ahodgkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dave Higton wrote:
>
> > You should be able to buy a new video card and a download of RISC OS
> > 5.12 any day now (maybe already, I'm not sure).
>
> Hmmm. Much as I admire further developments in the OS to support better
> graphics hardware and can understand their price tag, I can't quite get
> my head around seeing someone being potentially charged cash to fix a
> fundamental problem in something that has a high three to low four figure
> price tag in the first place.
>
> It might be a particularly irritating nVidia card revision at fault here.
> In such a case, swapping out the card might be a cost-effective solution,
> if Castle were up for it. Then they'd have the problematic card back at
> base to continue analysing the problem and hopefully come up with a
> software fix for those that still see graphics issues at startup, albeit
> less often.

AIUI Castle have tried very hard, over a long time, to solve the
problem, but had to admit defeat.  Batches of video cards coming
in had progressively lower yields.

Faced with those difficulties, at some stage one has to give up
and find an alternative way of moving forward.  Castle have done
both.

Dave