[iyonix-support] Re: Pyjama effect

  • From: Steve Bradbury <steve.bradbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:16:46 +0100

On 12 Jul 2006 in message <200607121106.MAA01901@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          n.m.queen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Nat Queen) wrote:

> That won't necessarily cure the problem.  In my case, I had been using =
an
> Iyonix for nearly a year without ever seeing pyjamas, but it suddenly=20
> occurred shortly after installing RO 5.11 (though now I don't think thi=
s=20
> was the reason), and the effect occurred on startup about 1 time in eve=
ry=20
> 5-6.
>=20
> However, more recently the problem has become very infrequent, although=
 I=20
> have not changed anything in the computer.  I got pyjamas once this wee=
k,=20
> but only after about 30 trouble-free startups.  So (especially for the =
OP,=20
> Peter Derwent), don't despair, with luck the effect may go away just as=
=20
> spontaneously as it appeared. :-)
>=20
> Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I rarely get pyjamas. I do, however, get a completely blank screen
nearly every morning, needing a restart (sometimes 2 or 3) to wake up.
The restart is what occasionally provokes the pyjamas.

When the screen is blank, the NVidia card does not appear in the
*pcidevices list.

This is on a Panther with OS 5.11

With OS 5.09 I used to get the problem only occasionally (once every 2-3
weeks).

Our other Panther (OS 5.09, purchased at the same time but not upgraded)
has never shown this problem.

We also have an older X100 (also on 5.09) which used to have a similar
problem on earlier OS versions, but 5.09 cured it.

All three have the same video card model

*pciinfo 2
Description         : NVidia GeForce2 MX 400
Location            : Bus 0, Device 6, Function 0
Class code          : 030000
Vendor ID           : 10DE
Device ID           : 0110
Revision ID         : B2
Subsystem vendor ID : 0000
Subsystem ID        : 0000
Addresses           : Memory 01000000-01FFFFFF
                      Memory 78000000-7FFFFFFF (prefetchable)
                      ROM    00EB0000-00EBFFFF
Interrupt pin       : INTA#
Interrupt line      : 61
Minimum grant       : 1.25=B5s
Command register    : I/O response enabled
                      Memory response enabled
                      Bus mastering enabled
Status register     : Capabilities list implemented
                      66MHz capable
                      Fast back-to-back capable
                      Medium DEVSEL# timing
Capabilities        : Power management

I'm _very_ reluctant to mess with things at the moment though. I can't
take the chance of provoking any downtime right now on any of these
machines, so I'm just living with the startup problem.

--=20
Steve Bradbury
Senior Structural Engineer
Alan Dick & Co. Ltd