[haiku-development] Re: Wiki for translation/localization teams

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 00:41:47 +0100

Hi,

2009/10/31 Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 15:30 -0700, scott mc wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> -1 from me, unless trac's wiki has an easy way to revert changes,
>> which I don't recall it having.
>
> So far we have two people in favor (Ryan, François) and one against
> (Scott). Anyone else would like to voice their vote?

I guess it is not a high priority in development sense.

To keep the implementation clean, I would suggest the following:

1. Assign two trusted members to be administrators (a main one and a
backup). If they are not Trac admins already, they should get
PERMISSION_ADMIN permissions so that they can grant permissions to
others.

2. Set clear guidelines for who should have wiki access. I would
suggest limiting it to language managers, but it is up to you. Just
make sure the admins have guidelines.

3. Do not give users direct permissions (such as WIKI_EDIT), but
rather we should create a 'translator' role. I suggest the WIKI_CREATE
and WIKI_MODIFY permissions. I would not give out the WIKI_DELETE
permission, as the actions that can be done with that permission are
destructive and cannot be reversed, so to prevent from mistakes, leave
that for the admins.

4. Agree on a path. Let's prevent that pages will scatter all over the
wiki tree. For example, let's have the following structure:
i18n/
--- de_DE/
--- --- TranslationGuide
--- --- StatusInfo
--- --- ContactInfo
--- nl_NL/
--- --- TranslationGuide
--- --- StatusInfo
--- --- OtherPage
etc. etc. etc.

Note that this will not be 'physically' enforced by Trac.

I guess this should go to haiku-doc to be further discussed.