[haiku-development] Re: Friendlier Optional Package installation

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 13:10:41 +0200 (MEST)

Ryan Leavengood<leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That sounds pretty cool, and I think a similar approach could be used
> for package management in the future. Let's face it, creating a web UI
> is quite a bit easier than making one in C++, and for package
> management it makes a lot of sense since many third party packages
> will probably be on the web anyhow.

I would argue that there is no place for web interfaces for Haiku applications.
There is nothing wrong in adding support to automatically install downloaded
packages, or provide some kind of API that makes this possible, ie. that you
can use Haikuware as some sort of package manager.
While making a web UI is easy, making a good web UI is a lot of work, and in
many cases even impossible. There are countless examples out there, and I'm
even currently typing in one of them :-)

Bye,
   Axel.