[haiku-development] Re: Friendlier Optional Package installation

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 18:07:51 +0200

On 2011-06-09 at 00:10:03 [+0200], Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> That sounds pretty cool, and I think a similar approach could be used
> for package management in the future. Let's face it, creating a web UI
> is quite a bit easier than making one in C++, and for package
> management it makes a lot of sense since many third party packages
> will probably be on the web anyhow.

Mh...
To me it looks like it will fail to blend in the system properly no matter
what you do...

Can I drop a package on the app to install it ? Likely not.
Does it work if Web+ is not installed / crashed and you need to reinstall
it ?
Can it use the Locale Kit for strings in the rendered webpages ? Maybe, but
not easily.

I think you can get started fast with a web UI, but you will have a very
hard time reaching the same polishment and straightforwardness a native GUI
can offer. Also, I already started a package manager UI, it just needs to
be fleshed up with plugging it to the actual tools.

--
Adrien.