[haiku-development] Re: Friendlier Optional Package installation

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 19:26:09 +0200

> Not sure how that would take less disk space (assuming as I am that the
> browser and interpreter are part of the basic package).  The 100K or so
> overhead to the current ~5K of script/text is presumably unavoidable
> filesystem wastage.  Would be about the same with the above scheme.

I doubt you'd reach 100K that fast. A link file is a single block so should
be 2048 bytes with the default ISO block size ?

> Also, it's static.  It doesn't take account of added packages.  My
> pilot only updates when installoptionalpackage is actually run, but
> it's aware of the updated OptionalPackageNames, so adds them to the list
> (though without appropriate descriptions of course).

True, but this isn't a package manager, just yet another temporary hack
before the real thing. That's why there are so much violent reactions on this
list : your web based thing may be nice, but it just reduces the need (and
motivation) for the real package manager. Rather work on that.

> And how would you handle those descriptions, whiich is the whole point
> of my idea?

File attributes and a properly configured Tracker view ?

--
Adrien.