[haiku-development] Re: Friendlier Optional Package installation

Dustin Howett wrote:
 > I'm officially a Java developer with only a barely decent knowledge
of XML, HTML and SQL, and I'm on a strict schedule, so you can guess how
the final product is going to be.
 > Not to mention I've to deal with four different character sets.

The developer implementing this is not you and not subject to your
limitations.

And I was not talking about this.

 > The current optional packages are few, so everything could be fit in
a small system-level database without needing Internet access.

A local server and a local web browser do not imply or require internet
access. The list remains local. That said, the optional packages work to
slim down the image /because/ internet access is required; you have to
download them from somewhere! :)

The features proposed by Ryan were not possible in local (user comments, votes...). Anyway, it's obvious you need Internet access to download them, but it's best to avoid it as much as possible as Internet access isn't so easy and cheap everywhere.

Regards,

Gabriele