[haiku-development] Re: Friendlier Optional Package installation

  • From: Dustin Howett <alaricx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 08:27:58 -0700

On Jun 10, 2011 7:50 AM, "Gabriele Biffi" <mlist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Most of the times, I see scripting languages used badly :-)
>
> I like Haiku because it's closer to the hardware than any other usable OS
I seen. If parts of it starts becoming scripting languages, I don't see any
reason to use it.

By that token, we should not have a web browser at all. JavaScript and HTML
don't make good machine code, afterall. We should stick with good old
compiled binaries. Lest nobody use the OS, that is.

> Why not ditch the whole GUI and have the browser the only running app,
then? Think at how many several things will be easier...

> It's the same approach used by ChromeOS, and needless to say, I don't like
it.

(As above)

> I'm officially a Java developer with only a barely decent knowledge of
XML, HTML and SQL, and I'm on a strict schedule, so you can guess how the
final product is going to be.
> Not to mention I've to deal with four different character sets.

The developer implementing this is not you and not subject to your
limitations.

> The current optional packages are few, so everything could be fit in a
small system-level database without needing Internet access.

A local server and a local web browser do not imply or require internet
access. The list remains local. That said, the optional packages work to
slim down the image /because/ internet access is required; you have to
download them from somewhere! :)

- Dustin L. Howett