[haiku-development] Re: Friendlier Optional Package installation

  • From: PHilip RUshik <prushik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 06:18:03 -0400

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:54 AM, Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ryan Leavengood wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 5:18 PM,<pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>

>>> This is all done by having a "micro-web-server" that uses the contents
>>> of /boot/common/data/optional-packages to build a page for WebPositive.
>>> The Desktop icon actually links to a short shell-script that launches
>>> the server and invokes W+ on it.  When W+ exits, it shuts down the
>>> server again.
>>>

>> That sounds pretty cool, and I think a similar approach could be used
>> for package management in the future. Let's face it, creating a web UI
>> is quite a bit easier than making one in C++, and for package
>> management it makes a lot of sense since many third party packages
>> will probably be on the web anyhow.
>>

> And that's exactly the sort of things I hate.
>
> A GUI in HTML requires almost a full browser, a server, and adds several
> layers of complexity to the system. The same thing in C++ requires much less
> memory, space, and CPU. And it could be done even quicker with a GUI
> designer, but that's another story.
>
> That's ok for mockups, but if Haiku is going that way, I'm going another
> way.
>

> Regards,
>
> Gabriele

I agree. A web interface is a neat idea, and it has some potential for more
easily supporting 3rd party applications, its a sloppy solution at best.
This is my main complaint about almost all other operating systems available
today, "quick and easy solutions" become permanent solutions, then they
build on top of each other and all of a sudden everything is a mess. We
shouldn't be taking shortcuts.
But like I said, its a neat idea. The first thing that popped into my head
was adding some kind of mechanism in web positive to install applications
directly from the web, but that would introduce a lot of issues like
standards compliance and security concerns and of course the issue of
efficiency, which is my main concern.
My linux system (Lubuntu) locks up if I try to install from Synaptic and do
anything else at the same time, I don't want to see haiku going the same
way.