[haiku-development] Re: Friendlier Optional Package installation

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 22:14:06 -0300

Em 09/06/2011, às 19:11, pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx escreveu:
> It is not "bloated" or slow (except when installoptional package itself
> runs!).  It's only about 100 lines of script, and WebPositive shows the page
> in about a second from clicking the icon.  It does require W+ and a language
> interpreter (presumably Python in the end), but I'm assuming these will
> *have* to be available on a release system.  (They may not be in the
> nightlies, but this is not intended as a solution for developers.  The
> command line app is always available.)

If I may chime in, consider Lua. The core interpreter + Xavante (Lua's
webserver) + support libs (LuaSocket, Copas, LuaFS) will take less than 1MB
total and the package installation driver script probably won't be even 15%
more code than the Python/Ruby equivalents (and that's because on those
languages one would use some kitchen sink lib as a shortcut).

I'd love to participate, but I'm still at least couple months away from having
a proper development environment again.

Cheers,
A.