[haiku-development] Re: Friendlier Optional Package installation

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 13:54:43 -0400

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Adrien Destugues
<pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Depends on how it works.
>
> The way I see it :
>
>  * You can get your packages anywhere : Haikuware, bebits, haikubits, a CD
> you bought at the local store.
>  * You install them by a imple double click
>  * Then, the package manager is able to detect updates and dependancies as
> needed.

Seems pretty good.

> The package manager may come with its own GUI for adding packages, or it
> may not. It oculd have all the community part integrated, if you want so
> (comments, ratings, all that stuff). Or it may just serve as an installer,
> updater, and uninstaller, leaving the work of building a community to a
> website, which is fine for that.

OK, I'm probably convinced as far as the package installer is
concerned. But it sounds like we will still need a web-site or some
sort of online service either way, to host Haiku's core packages and
associated ratings, comments and whatever. We cannot rely on Haikuware
or other third parties for core Haiku packages.

So even if the system's package selector isn't HTML we will likely
still need some sort of web page/application for packages. So I
imagine I can satisfy my interest in applying my HTML and JavaScript
skills to that instead of the system's package selector. Given our
wider Python skills among the Haiku community I imagine Django or
other Python frameworks would be a good choice for this. Or maybe Ruby
on Rails or one of the lighter Ruby web frameworks.

--
Regards,
Ryan