[haiku-development] Re: Friendlier Optional Package installation

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 18:32:25 +0200

On 2011-06-09 at 18:00:57 [+0200], Brecht Machiels <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > I agree, but it isn't just a fancy GUI and effects which I think HTML
> > provides in this case. Rating and commenting would fit better within
> > an HTML system. Otherwise I know what is going to happen: we are going
> > to have Haikuware and bunch of various other sites each with their own
> > rating and comments system, and then a simple C++ package installer
> > which people don't like to use since it lacks so much compared to
> > these web-sites.

Depends on how it works.

The way I see it :

 * You can get your packages anywhere : Haikuware, bebits, haikubits, a CD
you bought at the local store.
 * You install them by a imple double click
 * Then, the package manager is able to detect updates and dependancies as
needed.

The package manager may come with its own GUI for adding packages, or it
may not. It oculd have all the community part integrated, if you want so
(comments, ratings, all that stuff). Or it may just serve as an installer,
updater, and uninstaller, leaving the work of building a community to a
website, which is fine for that.

--
Adrien.