[haiku-development] Re: Friendlier Optional Package installation

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:53:59 -0400

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I think that's the main point speaking against this approach. The package
> management application will need to be a lot more than a "package selector".
> Sure, that can all be tunneled through a HTTP connection, but I find this a
> rather weird approach, since one is just moving work from putting some love
> into a native GUI to the HTTP communication.

Maybe this is where we are getting disconnected then. I'm really just
talking about a HTML package selector. This is all Pete's prototype
is.

The workflow I imagine is this:

1. You open the package selector.
2. You browse around, search, read reviews, comments, etc.
3. You see a package you like.
4. You click "Install".
5. The package selector asks the package management system to install
the package (maybe with a confirmation in the package selector if
there are many dependencies.)
6. The package management system installs the package and
dependencies, and either has it's own progress GUI, or progress is
shown in the HTML package selector.
7. You browse more packages and install other things (this should be
possible even when things are being installed.)

Number 7 pretty much comes for free with the browser and local server
approach, though it isn't too hard in C++ due to Haiku's
multi-threaded GUI.

> BTW I'm utterly surprised about this approach coming up in the first place. I
> recall heated discussions about how suboptimal ported applications and
> toolkits are in comparison with native ones. While personally I don't really
> have problems with a well-integrated toolkit, moving an application into the
> browser does seem like a change for the worse even to me.

We use a web-based ticket manager. I personally find Gmail much better
for email than Mail. Making Mail as nice as Gmail would take a lot of
work, and no one has done it yet (though there are Gmail like mail
clients on other systems, such as the Ruby and curses-based "sup".)

I don't think having an HTML-based UI designed specifically for Haiku
inside a Haiku browser is quite as bad as a Java or Qt GUI.

--
Regards,
Ryan