[haiku-development] Re: Friendlier Optional Package installation

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:41:12 -0400

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Great idea, since we have so many resources to spare.

Yeah we don't, and that is part of my point. We can probably get a
working package selector faster with the HTML approach. It doesn't
mean it has to be that way forever though, and maybe what we learn
from an HTML package selector can be applied to a C++ one.

> If a dedicated (mini) web-server is needed for providing a package manager,
> it's a local
> experience only, and sites like haikuware won't benefit from it at all, while
> the users
> don't gain anything either.

There is no reason the local web server couldn't provides links to
Haikuware or otherwise interact with it, certainly as much as a C++
GUI. The web is full of "mash-ups" where various sites link together
content.

> Oh, and if you want to write a software for the real package
> management, you would also need to access its C++ based API.

Which is possible from most languages, not just C++. We even have a
GSoC project directly related to linking scripting languages with the
Haiku API.

> Writing a C++ UI isn't really that hard; the only advantage I give web UIs is
> that they
> allow for more effects with less work.

I agree, but it isn't just a fancy GUI and effects which I think HTML
provides in this case. Rating and commenting would fit better within
an HTML system. Otherwise I know what is going to happen: we are going
to have Haikuware and bunch of various other sites each with their own
rating and comments system, and then a simple C++ package installer
which people don't like to use since it lacks so much compared to
these web-sites.

But all this talking is probably pointless. This is a case where
working code will probably be more convincing that arguments, and I'm
pretty sure a nicely working HTML based package selector will be
around before the C++ one. Well we already have Pete's prototype for
the optional packages.

--
Regards,
Ryan