[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: "Adrien Destugues" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 18:38:21 +0200

Le Tue, 03 Apr 2012 07:07:49 +0200, Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx> a écrit:

2012.04.02 22:22, pulkomandy rašė:
On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 08:07:53PM +0300, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
Well, you would still have to space or shift into it, so I don't see
a problem here.
It is just not the place to look for a keymap setting. The current
ReadOnlyBootPrompt is fine, I think.

You misunderstood me. I wanted means to force ROBP loading from the boot menu, not to replace ROBP with it.

Ok... Still, not sure that makes sense. First-time users will likely not get to the boot menu before they have managed to boot Haiku, connect to IRC, and ask for help. At that point it's easier to tell them to open the keymap preflet.

I still think the guess of not having a keymap in user directory should work in most - if not all - cases. Am I missing some ?

By the way, doesn't ROBP give the user an option to install Haiku
right away? I assume starting the installation at such early stage
would allow me to preserve a bit more settings (such as the number
of virtual desktops, desktop/deskbar replicants etc.)
It does, yes. I think that's actually an alert made directly in the boot
script, actually, not the bootprompt app itself.

Anyway, may I suggest the use of B-M-S for keeping your settings ?
http://pulkomandy.tk/~beosarchive/archive/source/utils/B.M.S.zip

Thanks for this link! I still think it's a bit workaroundish though...

Not everything can be in the OS.
Of course the package manager will provide for a smoother way to upgrade your Haiku install without data loss.

--
Adrien.