[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:50:30 +0300

Hi,

2012.03.31 10:19, Ingo Weinhold rašė:
John Scipione wrote:
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Rimas Kudelis<rq@xxxxxx>  wrote:
[...]
To the system Right Alt and AltGr are indistinguishable. So
B_RIGHT_COMMAND_KEY = B_ALTGR_KEY. I believe, but am not 100%
positive, that the hardware sends an identical keycode for AltGr as
Right Alt. The keys cannot be distinguished from each other based on
what the hardware reports. At least it seems that way from what I've
read. This means that you can't map both a Right Alt and an AltGr key
to different keys on the same keyboard since the hardware sends an
identical keycode there is no way to differentiate the two.
Maybe I misunderstand something, but I would say you got it the wrong way
around. The mapping is from physical key code to key role. B_RIGHT_COMMAND_KEY
and B_ALTGR_KEY are key roles and I don't see any reason why they should be
equal. This also means that you could very well map different keys to
B_RIGHT_COMMAND_KEY and B_ALTGR_KEY. Or, the more relevant case, map the same
physical key to either B_RIGHT_COMMAND_KEY or B_ALTGR_KEY depending on the
keymap.

[...]
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM, Rimas Kudelis<rq@xxxxxx>  wrote:
I don't really understand what shortcut combinations with Right Alt you are
talking about. Are there programs that differentiate between LOpt and ROpt
in shortcuts?
No, that's the point, there are no programs the differentiate between
Right and Left Alt in regards to shortcuts. They all specify
B_COMMAND_KEY which is equivalent either B_RIGHT_COMMAND_KEY or
B_LEFT_COMMAND_KEY. And since B_RIGHT_COMMAND_KEY = B_ALTGR_KEY it
also matches. What this means is that I have to check to see if your
keymap is>= version 4, and decide whether or not to handle the key
combo or not. If left alt, do the default, if right, do the AltGr
thing. This would be easier if AltGr produced it's own keycode, but,
like I said, I don't believe it does.
This sounds complicated and totally unnecessary to me, since
B_RIGHT_COMMAND_KEY and B_ALTGR_KEY should not have the same value.

That's exactly what I meant, thanks Ingo!

Rimas