[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 20:07:53 +0300

2012.04.02 19:55, pulkomandy rašė:
On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 07:51:45PM +0300, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
As for selecting your keyboard layout, this is asked for in the
ReadOnlyBootPrompt, which pops up when Haiku is booted from readonly
media (eg. an install CD). This is not done in installer because it is
also useful for the livecd mode. As it seems more people are moving to
installing from usb-drives, maybe we should change the behaviour and
make it always popup if there's no keymap in the user's homefolder ?
It should not apply just to the keymap. How about checking if some
file exists in the filesystem and showing ReadOlnyBootPrompt
depending on whether it does? Although perhaps it could also be
implemented in the BootMan's boot menu?
ReadOnlyBootPrompt asks for the keymap and locale. There is no way to
detect if a locale was set (that I know of); that's why I'm telling it
should look for a keymap file.

I don't want it to show always at first boot, that would be annoying for
developpers. As I set a keymap in my build profile, I don't need it.

How about setting a setting not to show the ROPB on first boot in your build profile and showing it otherwise? :)

Bootman is not the boot menu. It's a bootloader that just allows you to
select an OS or another. The boot menu that you get when pressing space
or shift at boot is actually a bit later than that. But it is not the
right place for such settings. And, it's textmode! Talk about a nice
experience... A good thing about Haiku is that you get a smooth
experience from the very early startup with the boot splash screen. No
dozens of line of text like linux used to do some years ago :)

Well, you would still have to space or shift into it, so I don't see a problem here. By the way, doesn't ROBP give the user an option to install Haiku right away? I assume starting the installation at such early stage would allow me to preserve a bit more settings (such as the number of virtual desktops, desktop/deskbar replicants etc.)

Rimas