[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: pulkomandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 18:55:08 +0200

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012 at 07:51:45PM +0300, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
> >As for selecting your keyboard layout, this is asked for in the
> >ReadOnlyBootPrompt, which pops up when Haiku is booted from readonly
> >media (eg. an install CD). This is not done in installer because it is
> >also useful for the livecd mode. As it seems more people are moving to
> >installing from usb-drives, maybe we should change the behaviour and
> >make it always popup if there's no keymap in the user's homefolder ?
>
> It should not apply just to the keymap. How about checking if some
> file exists in the filesystem and showing ReadOlnyBootPrompt
> depending on whether it does? Although perhaps it could also be
> implemented in the BootMan's boot menu?

ReadOnlyBootPrompt asks for the keymap and locale. There is no way to
detect if a locale was set (that I know of); that's why I'm telling it
should look for a keymap file.

I don't want it to show always at first boot, that would be annoying for
developpers. As I set a keymap in my build profile, I don't need it.

Bootman is not the boot menu. It's a bootloader that just allows you to
select an OS or another. The boot menu that you get when pressing space
or shift at boot is actually a bit later than that. But it is not the
right place for such settings. And, it's textmode ! Talk about a nice
experience... A good thing about Haiku is that you get a smooth
experience from the very early startup with the boot splash screen. No
dozens of line of text like linux used to do some years ago :)