[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 14:04:20 -0400

Sorry, there is too much to respond to so I'm just going to summarize
my response to each person.

@Ingo

I am okay with renaming "American" to "US" and making it the the
default fallback keymap if then Generic 104-key is made the default
keyboard layout as well.

@RQ

I can copy the US-International keymap to US (which has no characters
defined in the option maps) but make it default to NOT defining an
AltGr key, rather defining a right Alt key by default. That means you
won't be able to select any special characters in the US keymap, but,
you'll be able to select AltGr in the Modifier keys window if you want
them. I am currently in the process of updating that dialog to support
AltGr with a few other enhancements. So much for the idea of US
staying version 3!

@PulkoMandy

It is my hope (in fact one of the big reasons for starting this
process in the first place) that the AltGr key will give you access to
the characters that you need in the French keymap via the AltGr key.

The install process must ask for both Locale and Keymap since they may
be different. There are already keymap variations based on more than
locale such as Dvorak and Colmark, and the various ... (Mac) keymaps.
Perhaps Locale could suggest a keymap, but that's about the best we
could hope for. ROBP is a fine place to ask these questions IMHO. If
you have a keymap if your user config file, we can skip the step of
asking for the Keymap as well.

John Scipione