[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: "Adrien Destugues" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:36:05 +0200

Le Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:46:32 +0200, Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx> a écrit:

2012.03.29 22:42, Rimas Kudelis rašė:
2012.03.29 22:36, François Revol rašė:
Well, if you want to implement the full Bépo keymap correctly you'll
probably need even more layers, like 20 :D
cf.
http://bepo.fr/wiki/Touches_mortes

Well, I quickly skimmed that page. Here's what the layout uses:

AltGr -> Currently Opt in Haiku, would become AltGr with John's patch
Maj -> Shift, stays as is
Touches mortes -> Dead keys, stays as is

I don't see anything else in use there. Neither Ctrl, nor Alt or Win keys are used to produce separate layers.

FYI, the illustration at http://bepo.fr/wiki/Accueil confirms my theory. ;)

Yes.
The idea of the extra AltGr modifier is (for French keyboard, at least) :
* Ctrl key is used to enter control characters, from Ctrl + A = ASCII code 1 to Ctrl + Z = ASCII code 26, IIRC. These are technically regular ASCII characters. * Alt key is used to trigger keyboard shortcuts. So, it has no symbols on its keymap layer, or there would be conflicts.
 * AltGr key is used for special symbols, like € [{}] @.
* The "Windows" key are used for system-wide shortcuts, mainly stack'n'tile and triggering deskbar menu. There could be more of these, but some apps also make use of this key already...

I think it's better to keep everything in the keymap, except the page triggered by the Alt key (reserved for shortcuts). The Ctrl plane is standard for the letter keys, but could be used for some extra stuff on the numbers and other special keys. Who knows what people want to hide in there ? For example, I could see Ctrl+space being used for non-breakable space.

If you switch to windows/linux mode, Ctrl and Alt are swapped. Nothing else changes.

As for the US international keyboard, this one currently uses the "Windows" key as an AltGr equivalent. I'm not sure what to do with that. Maybe the users of this keyboard map can enlighten us on what they'd expect.

--
Adrien.