[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: Rimas Kudelis <rq@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:42:25 +0300

2012.03.29 22:36, François Revol rašė:
On 29/03/2012 21:29, Rimas Kudelis wrote:
Hi,

2012.03.29 21:35, John Scipione rašė:
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Rimas Kudelis<rq@xxxxxx>   wrote:
2012.03.29 11:48, John Scipione rašė:

I have also updated the US-International Keymap with new keys. I moved
the current option settings to right option and filed out the right
option based on the keys produced in Mac OS X (with a little BeOS 5
thrown in).
First of all, with AltGr layer available, I don't think Option layer is
needed.
I believe that it is for some keymaps like French but François Revol
can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.
It is.
Sorry but I didn't follow the thread much.

I believe that AltGr is. Alt/Opt is not.

There's a line somewhere between "this is really powerful" and "it's
just complicating things with no benefit". I tend to think that adding
more layers crosses that line, although I'm probably a bit biased
because for the languages I use, two modifiers (Shift and AltGr) are
enough. I just don't think an average user would benefit from having 6
or 8 layers in her keyboard to enter accented characters. :) That's what
dead keys are for.
Well, if you want to implement the full Bépo keymap correctly you'll
probably need even more layers, like 20 :D
cf.
http://bepo.fr/wiki/Touches_mortes

Well, I quickly skimmed that page. Here's what the layout uses:

AltGr -> Currently Opt in Haiku, would become AltGr with John's patch
Maj -> Shift, stays as is
Touches mortes -> Dead keys, stays as is

I don't see anything else in use there. Neither Ctrl, nor Alt or Win keys are used to produce separate layers.

Rimas