[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:38:19 +0200

John Scipione wrote:
[...]
> The only problem is, is adding more maps to the key_map struct going
> to break backwards compatibility? Do we care?

Unless I'm mistaken one wouldn't usually allocate a key_map structure in an
application. So if the new stuff is added at the end, there shouldn't be any
compatibility issue for old applications.

> I also realize that AltGr is usually right Alt not right option, and
> not right option, but, I figured making it right option would cause
> less conflicts and would free up the right alt key for use with
> application shortcuts instead.

That implies that the AltGr role remains on the wrong key also in Window/Linux
modifier mode, right? I don't find that a particularly good idea. In case that
was not clear, the key gives access to -- at least for coding purposes --
rather important characters like brackets, braces, and the pipe symbol. I would
assume that people coding also on other platforms would prefer the same key to
be used.

CU, Ingo