[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: fano il primo <fanoilprimo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 09:45:44 +0200

But in Windows this works so why Haiku problems?
Why we want to continue to change keys behavior based on layouts? Windows
don't do this...

That is:

   1. Alt GR is Alt GR (not option or whatever): pressed together some keys
   give special characters (in Italian layout for example Alt GR + ò == @), if
   Alt GR doesn't exist simply the are no special characters in that layout as
   they're not standard.... simple!
   2. Alt is... Alt (not command or whatever) and it's pretty unused in
   Windows I've to say... OK for use it for application shortcuts as Haiku
   does, it seems logical!
   3. CTRL is... again CTRL in Windows the use of this key is mixed, as you
   know: legacy terminal commands and shortcuts. Haiku correctly considers it
   only for terminal usage.
   4. Windows key is System Shortcut (and not "option" in no one layout),
   then Win + r is a command for Explorer (that is "Tracker") and not ®! I'd
   suppose it should ne a totally different role (Super? Meta? For sure not
   "option" that is Alt GR)

It seems we want to do too much, have the Alt GR functionality w/o the key
(using a key with a different label and a different scope) it's not logic,
if you renounce to this all become clear...

Best regards,

fano