[haiku-development] Re: AltGr Key, key_map, and the US-International Keyboard

  • From: John Scipione <jscipione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2012 18:32:33 -0400

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Joseph Groover <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Do you mean accented characters?  Why not use BeOS behavior:
>
> Press WinKey + E then whatever character you wanted to have the accent
> (grave, I believe), and there were other combs...
>
> WinKey+R gave the Registered trademark simple, WinKey+C, copyright, and so
> on...

Well, that would work, but, the idea is that the option map could be
reutilized for system shortcuts when there is support for an AltGr key
for entering special characters like accented characters, ®, ©, etc.
But, while that works for International keymaps, it doesn't work for
the US keymap (Which doesn't have an AltGr key). You could put the
special characters in the option map of the US keymap, but then system
shortcuts wouldn't work. So, there is a conflict there. Perhaps the
idea of using option for system shortcuts is untenable.

John Scipione