[gameprogrammer] Re: Welcome new members!

  • From: "Casey O'Donnell" <caseyodonnell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 09:32:33 -0400

Bob...

I really like the practice of welcoming new members. A while back some
folks posted information about themselves and I never took the time to
participate. But I am now. :)

I joined the list back in 2006, when I was at a crossroads. I was
either going to go back into the game industry "center" as a tools
engineer or go to graduate school to study the collaborative
interdisciplinary work of the game industry (as you'll see from the
story below, I did the grad school thing but have since met the person
I lost that job to, and he was better than me...). At the time, I was
working for an Autodesk subcontractor on different parts of their
products and also custom tool development for clients. Prior to that I
was an engineer at a small game studio in La Jolla, CA (3D Pipeline)
and before that I worked for Jet Propulsion Labs in Pasadena.

While in graduate school I worked on several serious games (we called
them "design tools" because at the time the NSF wouldn't get close to
"games"... How times have changed) and eventually took up residence at
Vicarious Visions in Troy/Menands, New York. I spent five years doing
research at VV during the development of numerous titles, most notably
though, Spiderman 3 for the PS2, Wii, and PSP. I've also spent time at
the now defunct Red Octane India and several other studios in India.

Now I'm at the University of Georgia teaching classes on media
industry structure and capstone projects for students. Occasionally
(when budgets allow) I teach introductory game design classes. I
recently founded a small game company here in Athens with two full
time artists and a part time engineer with myself as
designer/producer. Our first game will be released in January.

That's it. :) Welcome everyone...

Cheers.
Casey

--
Casey O'Donnell, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Telecommunications

http://www.caseyodonnell.org