[gameprogrammer] Re: Welcome new members!

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 17:42:10 -0600

2010/12/11 Bαℓα¢ђαη∂єя. <bala.8644@xxxxxxxxx>:
> would c and c++ be useful for a beginner to program decent graphical games??

Yes, C++ is now the standard language for writing game engines in the
commercial game industry. If you want to be a technical programmer and
learn everything from the bottom up the C++ is the way to go. If you
study C++ you will learn C along the way.

OTOH, You can write perfectly good games in many other languages. Take
a look at the kind of machines you want to program for and learn the
core language for that platform. If you want to code for mobile you
might need C++ or you might need Java.

The thing to remember is that you will eventually learn a few dozen
programming languages. So, don't worry about which one you start with.
Every engines has one, every platform seems to have a preferred one,
and every company seems to have a preferred language. So, the more you
learn about many languages the better off you will be in the long run.

I now I am in the minority on this subject.... but the whole XNA thing
is only useful on WIndows and XBox. I expect they will be around for a
long time so they are worth looking at, but that is a very crouded
market and with the rise of mobile gaming and the rapid decline of
Windows market share in the mobile sector I do not see Windows as a
growth market. On the other hand, C# is a great language and the Mono
project has produced a version of C# that runs on Mac OS X and Linux
so you can use it on Apple platforms and on all the entertainment and
mobile devices that run a version of Linux. So, I can see learning C#
while skipping XNA.

Bob Pendleton