[gameprogrammer] Re: Welcome new members!

  • From: Gautam Narain <gautam_n_@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 01:24:56 +0530

Hi,

Well I will fill in my info as well then. I got into the list when I got
interested in game development way back in 2000/2002 (don't remember the exact
year) when I was doing my engineering. It wasn't on freelists at that time. I
remember coming across this list when I was trying to learn about fractals and
was trying to get my head around line subdivision and so on. Coming to me
becoming a professional game developer, my career actually started of as a Tech
support engineer. While I was working in the call center, I was busy trying to
figure out how to get into this field. I ended up writing my first 2d game way
back in 2002-2003 but had written quite a few demos and stuff before that in
dos, so that experience helped a bit. I had a lot of interest in writing code
that involved lighting and was more into game engine development. Thanks to
someone seeing a vertex lighting demo of mine, I ended up getting my first job
as a Trainee programmer in an animation company wanting to get into games
development side of things. Although that didn't last long for various reasons
excluding the company going bust, I did learn a few things and then I went on
to work in a finance company. After that I went on and did my masters and
actually enjoyed my masters after having worked for some time. After finishing
my masters, I went on to work on some PC, PS2 and DS games in a small company
in India. After finishing about 5 games in total professionally from concept to
finish on all those platforms together and with 1 cancelled PC game, I decided
to look for greener pastures and now I work for a big publisher/developer
working on various core technology areas on next gen consoles (I guess we
should call it current gen now).

Well, writing all this makes me feel old, although I can hardly be called
anywhere near old. I am not even 30 :)

Cheers
Gautam