[gameprogrammer] Re: Welcome new members!

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 14:05:01 -0800

To add my same story to the pile...

I too am self taught, with no college degree.

In high school I spent all my time coding games and apps for fun / to
learn and read tons and tons of books on all sorts of various subjects
in the computer science world.

I'm just now hitting my 10 year mark as a professional programmer, the
first 5 years were business programming jobs, and these last 5 years
i've been working as a video game programmer.

I'm currently working at a huge company in seattle and loving it (and
am preforming comparable to my co-workers with degrees).

Tons of personal projects over the years lay unfinished just like you
guys, I sort of feel like they were learning experiences that helped
me learn enough to get to where I am at today (: