[gameprogrammer] Re: Welcome new members!

  • From: Richard Sabbarton <richard.sabbarton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 08:46:09 +0000

Hi Dheeraj,

I AM RICH (by name :)

Welcome.  I tried your racing game.  It looks good as a start but it
did crash my explorer.  Keep it up.  Also, you should add a framerate
cap or some other mechanism to manage time in the game.  My ATI
Mobility card rendered it at 300+ FPS...  I was lapped twice before I
realised what the controls were :P

It is interesting that you are going to learn 3DS Max Studio soon.  In
my experience, I think a lot of developers (especially wannabe game
devs like myself) are in the same "learn it soon" boat.  I have
mentioned it on the list before but I am currently working on an
alternative to the big 3D studio products like Max and Blender.  My
idea is to create a simple 3D modeller for creating in-game content.
I have tried Max before and never got anywhere before the free trial
expired.  I tried Blender and found it too complex for what I wanted
to achieve with it.  My application "MeshCreator" has been designed to
fit into this area.  The file format is ASCII CSV so it is easy to
read in on whatever platform and the program should be easy enough
that even I can use it.  I published the first beta of the application
on the 1st November.  It hit 450+ downloads in the first couple of
weeks and I am really interested in getting some feedback on the
design and interface.  I am working on the project entirely on my own
so I would appreciate a different perspective.

Also, I like the intro idea.  I have been clinging on to the London
branch for a good few years now.  Not sure how many Brits we have on
it though.

Richard