[gameprogrammer] Trying to Find NES Developers...

  • From: "Casey O'Donnell" <caseyodonnell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 09:44:18 -0400

For those of you that haven't heard about Ian Bogost's book, _Racing
the Beam_, about the Atari VCS, I've put some links below.

I'm working on bringing my research on the NES into a similar kind of
form. I already have a great deal of technical, patent, legal, etc,
information about the platform, but lack information about how
developers at companies who worked on licensed titles went about it.
The NES is a difficult beast because of its hardware lockout
mechanisms and custom chip sets. One of the things I'm attempting to
do to help bridge this gap of knowledge is to contact developers
(artists, engineers, designers) who have worked on the NES. If you
know anyone, who might be interested in talking with me about their
experiences, please forward my contact information on to them. I would
be grateful for this.

One of the things that amazes me is how much information is
continually lost about game development because it never gets written
down or talked about. These kinds of projects are crucial for our
craft and ultimately the long term health of the game industry.

Thanks for any information or contacts you might have.

Sincerely,
Casey O'Donnell

Links:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26360/Game_Developer_Announces_2009_Front_Line_Award_Finalists.php
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11696

--
Casey O'Donnell, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Telecommunications

http://www.caseyodonnell.org